Free English Study: introducing Yourself

Here are some sample phrases and sentences for talking about your family.

(Click for Audio)

Introducing your family

This is my mother/mom.

This is my father/dad.

(These are my parents)

This is my wife.

This is my husband.

There are five people in my family.
(My mother, my father, my older brother, my older sister, me, my younger brother.)

I have two brothers.
One is older.
one brother is older (than me).
One is younger.

I have one sister.

I'm number three.

Asking about family

How many brothers and sisters do you have?

What number are you?

He's the oldest (of five children).

She's the youngest.

Cindy doesn't have any brothers or sisters.

Jared is an only child.

How many children do you have?

We have two. One son and one daughter.

Do you have any kids?

No, I'm not married.

Conversation Practice

1. Tell your classmates or teacher about your family.
(If you have a family photograph, you may wish to show it to them.)

Example,

There are five people in my family.
(My mom, dad, older brother, younger sister and me.)

OR

My mother is a dentist. My father is a veterinarian. I have two brothers and one sister.

OR (while showing a picture)

This is my grandma... This is my dad... This is me, when I was 9 years old.

2. Ask your classmates about their families.
Listen and ask appropriate related questions.

How many brothers and sisters do you have, Tammy?
I just have one sister.
What's her name?
Faye.
How old is she?
She's seventeen.

Source:http://www.eslgold.com/speaking/talking_about_family.html

No comments: